Radeon 7200 - locks up during initializing

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 15 23:45:43 UTC 2004

Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 20:15, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>The effects are that card comes up in the uper left corner and does not
>>cover more than 3/4 of the display. I collected data regarding the
>>radeon driver causing problems, but wanted to know if there were any
>>settings that might be causing this sort of problem.
>

> 	P.S. Change your resolution to get a full screen.  xorg.conf may have
> defaulted to 800X600.
>
> 	Do you use a LCD monitor?  Mine is Samsung 193p and I notice that it
> isn't in any definition files, Thou I can't say for sure that that is
> the problem yet, as I'm having huge problems installing test releases
> these days, and currently I don't have any installed.
>
> Scott

I was trying to use the radeon as it was configured initially, by
whatever kudzu and other configuration tools set it to. The strange
items that I noted were that the radeon driver seems to work in tandem
w/ the ati driver and this code is a new requirement from what was
needed in the earlier FC2 final release.

I experimented in a similar way as I tried for the i810 driver problem
and replaced only the driver. This brought up an error that the radeon
driver could not find particular values from the ati driver.

Anyway, this seems like a server general problem and not a problem with
the radeon driver and ati driver team.

I got some interesting results from a dual head configuration with two
troublesome cards.

With dual head problems, I'm not sure as to what to file these bugs on.

Oh! Back on topic. I only had luck using the vesa driver for the radeon
7200 card. My settings were modest and not as good as I like, which is
the 1280 x 1024 setting. I think I could use 1024 x 768 resolution
sucessfully, it was better than 640 x 480 anyway.

Jim