not installing FC3 test 2

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Sep 16 20:13:28 UTC 2004

	Well, I've just about run the gamut of all my knowledge, and i figure I
better get this to the list before FC3 is released.

	I downloaded the 2nd iso set around the 10th and have attempted to
install everyday, sometimes twice with limited success.  The very first
install was the best (unfortunately) I had it working fairly well even,
but in retrospect I have no idea why this is so.

My System:
MOBO MSI 6523
GFX ATI Radeon 7200
MEM 256M
BIOS: ASI 6.00

Upon loading CD1 and rebooting install using linux hda=XCYL,HEAD,SECTOR
to avoid the MBR problem that afflicts us all.

The system goes into a VESA screen while probing hardware, the report
come back tht the monitor found is SyncMaster, which is true, but it
doesn't seem to tell me if it knows it is a Samsung SyncMaster 193P or
not.  When X is started, I get an 800 X 600 screen in the upper left of
my 1280 X 1024 display while the install continues. (I reported this bug
in freedesktop bugz 1175)
The first error I get is a box with the announcement:

Assertion (metadata_length >= bios_geom.sectors) at disk_dos.c: 7739 in
function_add_logical_part_metadata()failed

and the ability to select cancel or ignore.  Selecting either allows
progress to continue, but the same error recurs approximately 7 time
during the install and it takes 6 clicks to continue each time it comes
up. (Doesn't seem to matter if I choose ignore or cancel.)

Eventually the process concludes with a report of successful completion.

After rebooting the system starts to load I see few errors, nothing
devastating all reports are tagged [OKAY]. Usually just about the time
that RHGB is being replaced by X the system reboots itself, if I start
it in init 3 it reboots during the FSCK if I tell it to run that check
or closer to the login prompt (but never quite there).

	The only report of failure that I get is that firstboot failed but
usually there are a few other commands that execute before the reboot.

	Most recently I tried to install Test 1 and upgrade to Test 2
(bypassing the need for firstboot).  I got as far as the gdm login
screen in X and started to log in when it rebooted.

	I am now going to install Test1 and upgrade as much as I can and see
what finally breaks it.  Anybody got a better idea?

Scott