Does udev make system unbootable?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Sep 18 14:39:14 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 00:19, Chris Ha wrote:
> I think I got udev package onto my fc3 t1 box by
> updating all the packages from yesterday(09/17/04)'s
> development tree. After that, it manages my system
> unbootable as below.
>
> At boot message :
> warning : unable to open an initial console
> (just 2 more lines about SElinux - I don't recall)
>
> after these messages, booting process hangs there.
>
> If someone knows about how to fix, could you please
> help me out?
>
> I have checked /dev directory using Knoppix, and seems
> like many of device files are not there. I'd like to
> know how to fix, specially with Knoppix if possible,
> of course other ways of fixing are welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> atie

I ran into the "won't boot" symptom too because I had previously
turned off the 'udev' mechanism in conjunction with initrd (a udev
configuration item).  However, with yesterdays updates I found I
had to re-enable the udev/initrd feature and re-run mkinitrd
against the chosen kernel package in order to boot.

for example:

 mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.541.img 2.6.8-1.541

Regards, Mike Klinke