Drive icons (FC3t2 fresh install)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Sep 21 08:52:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:12 +0100, PFJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My system has multiple drives attached (dev/hda -> dev/hdh). I currently
> have /dev/hdb1 as /home, /dev/hdb2 as /MP3, dev/hdg1 as /Programming,
> dev/hdg2 as /web and dev/hdh1 as /backup. These are entered in fstab and
> all work quite merrily.
>
> I have found something annoying though.

What're you're seeing now is just stock GNOME VFS.

> On my desktop, I have icons for all of these directories - they
> shouldn't be there and neither should an icon for /media/idedisk1 (/dev/
> hda1).
>
> What do I change in fstab so they don't appear? While a link to the MP3
> directory is okay, I certainly don't want other users being able to
> access the other mounts. For the production version, I would seriously
> consider not having them being visible.

This will be addressed in Rawhide shortly with GNOME VFS using a patch
to query hal what the drives/volumes are capable of (e.g. their volume
label, make, size, whether they're hotpluggable, whether they use
removable media etc etc). Here's an early screenshot of what it might
look like

 http://freedesktop.org/~david/blank-cdrw.png

> Also, why is my zip drive (/dev/hde) designated /media/floppy and my
> floppy (/dev/fd0) designated /media/floppy1?

Well, an IDE zip drive looks to the kernel like a floppy IDE drive,
that's why. AFAIK there is no reliable way (e.g. no heuristics on
model/vendor strings please) to tell an IDE zip drive from e.g. an IDE
LS120 drive. If there is please tell us at hal at freedesktop.org and we
can fixup things so you can get a nicer mount point.

David