FC3T2 Printer Setup Fails

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 21 13:43:57 UTC 2004

New install of FC3T2.  Setting up printer same way as it works in FC1,
FC2, FC3T1.

Networked printer attached to Netgear PS110 print server with
IP=192.168.1.102.  Ping to print server OK.

Set up using Networked Unix (LPD). Server 192.168.1.102, Printer L1.
Printer is HP Desk Jet 970C. (Same problem with a second printer,
Samsung ML-1750.)

If I try a test page during setup, all looks ok, but it is never
produced.  I also tried no test page then printing a file from Gedit.
The printer shows up in the Gedit print dialog.

When I open System Tools > Print Manager, it's dialog opens, showing an
icon for the printer, but a dialog labeled Question also pops up with
"No printers found, Run the Printer configuration tool?"

If I click OK, the Printer Configuration box opens, and the Description
field contains "Network host '192.168.1.102' is busy, down, or
unreachable, will retry in 30 seconds ..."  However, a ping works just fine.

If I click on the printer icon in Print Manager, it shows the job in the
queue as printing.

I'm not sure whether this is cups, printman, selinux or some other
component.  I originally had selinux as defaulted at install, but then
added selinux=0 to the kernel line in grub.conf.  Same results both ways.

I can reboot to one of the other partitions listed at the beginning of
this report and printing works just fine with the exact same setup.

Reported as bugzilla 133064.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Gerry