Various computer installs and results.

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 22 01:33:51 UTC 2004

First test was with an XP guest and installing clean. The install went
fine. On a reboot, the kernel did panic.

Second test was an upgrade on a Dell w/ the 828656 graphics controller.
All went well with this upgrade.

Installing on a Rocky 3705 SBC w/ an SIS630E chipset. This installation
took well. There was no problem.

Next with a nova-7895 SBC. SIS 630ST chipset. The installation went
without flaws also.

Now, with the computer with the 815 chipset. I started to do a graphics
install. I got as far as the portion where the installations were
detected. I then tried to do a clean istallation. I had colored lines
running across my monitor and had to alt-sysreq-b and the computer
rebooted. Trying a graphics installation again. I did not even get as
far as previous before the colored lines striped my monitor.
alt-sysreq-b rebooted the computer. Now proceeding to do a text upgrade
on one of the installations. This seems to be proceeding normally.

After doing a few fresh installs, I think that the default background
image makes a great representation and is a good choice. As far as the
clean installations done today. All of them were allowed to
automatically partition the disk and installed LVMs for volumes. This
went smoothly for a fresh install.

I have not inserted the radeon 7200 graphics controller to test this
card yet. I plan on trying this later to see if I also get the sassar
type reboot problem that was mentioned earlier.

Jim

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.