Random reboots with i8xx_tco module on Intel i8xx motherboards

Joe momendo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 11:28:27 UTC 2004

RANDOM REBOOTS

I can confirm this bug. It occurs with the stock
FC3Test2 kernel and the latest kernel. It boots midway
or sometimes all the way to the Gnome desktop, then
mysteriously reboots without warning. By removing the
i8xx_tco module with "rmmod i8xx_tco" as Colin
suggested below, the system no longer reboots. I'd say
this is a fatal bug for i8xx based Intel motherboards.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-8IEXP / i845e chipset

Kernel 2.6.8-1.584

FC3-Test2 Updated as of Sep 22, 2004

Joe

=========================

Finally giving x86 Rawhide a go (refreshing after lots
of PPC?), I got
the tree from 0911, and popped in on a box with the
GIGABYTE
'8I845GVM-RZ' i845GV

No glory for me, as the box kept on rebooting in the
starting stages -
this means it stayed on for >60s but died <120s

So, the new workaround is:
	* boot into single user mode
	* rmmod i8xx_tco
	* Ctrl+d
	* Enjoy Rawhide

Is anyone else noticing these problems? Bugzilla seems
rather silent
about this...
--
Colin Charles, byte aeon com my