Up2date errors

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 15:49:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:

> > > Greetings,
> > > I did 3 installs of FC3t2 , all went without problems. I did complete
> > > installs on 3 machines. however, up2date tells me there are updates
> > > available on all 3 machines, and when I try to do the updates I get
> > > this error on all :
> > >
> > > Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> > > gcc35-c++-3.5.0-0.9                      requires libstdc++ = 3.4.1
> > > gcc35-c++-3.5.0-0.9                      requires libstdc++-devel =
> 3.4.1
> > > gcc35-gfortran-3.5.0-0.9                 requires libgfortran =
> 3.5.0-0.9
> >
> > gcc35 packages should be removed replaced with gcc4 packages
>
> Does this mean to say, that _I_ should remove gcc35?
> Who should remove it?  How?
> How do I replace it with gcc4?
Try
up2date gcc4 gcc4-c++ etc.
which will

> I would think that all packages and dependents should have
> been upgraded to use gcc3.5 (and gcc3.5 shipped)
>
>  OR
>
> all packages and dependents should be downgraded to gcc3.4

gcc35 was a preview package for the next gcc release currently still in
development. However the gcc developers decided their next version would
be 4.0, hence the new gcc4 packages. The main gcc for FC3, called gcc,
will be version 3.4. Probably the gcc35 and gcc4 packages are linked
against some of the libraries from the main gcc package set as they are
sufficiently similar.

	Michael Young