release notes section on fonts for FC3t2

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 22 19:04:02 UTC 2004

   not having had to mess with fonts so far, i'm curious about why the
release notes seem adamant that, with the new fontconfig font scheme,
you would have to add personal font files into the ~/.fonts directory
when you'd have to run "fc-cache" anyway, and fc-cache takes the
directory name as an argument.  doesn't that suggest you can add those
font files anywhere, as long as you run fc-cache appropriately?  just
curious.

rday

p.s.  i did note that (at least on my FC2 system, FC3t2 system is
still installing so it might not be the same there), the man page for
fc-cache suggests to "SEE ALSO: fontconfig(3)".  there is no such man
page (although, as i said, this is what i'm reading on my FC2 system,
so it might very well have changed for FC3t2.  i just can't check that
for about the next 1/2 hour.)