release notes section on fonts for FC3t2

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 22:03:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 15:04 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    not having had to mess with fonts so far, i'm curious about why the
> release notes seem adamant that, with the new fontconfig font scheme,
> you would have to add personal font files into the ~/.fonts directory
> when you'd have to run "fc-cache" anyway, and fc-cache takes the
> directory name as an argument.  doesn't that suggest you can add those
> font files anywhere, as long as you run fc-cache appropriately?  just
> curious.

What fc-cache /.fonts does is update the cache in ~/.fonts. You could
just run fc-cache and it would:

 - Try to update the system cache directories, and fail
 - Update ~/.fonts

Running fc-cache on the directory directly is just a bit more
efficient. The search path for fontconfig is set
from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, in this case:

        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

> p.s.  i did note that (at least on my FC2 system, FC3t2 system is
> still installing so it might not be the same there), the man page for
> fc-cache suggests to "SEE ALSO: fontconfig(3)".  there is no such man
> page (although, as i said, this is what i'm reading on my FC2 system,
> so it might very well have changed for FC3t2.  i just can't check that
> for about the next 1/2 hour.)

I think it's an upstream man page bug. If you want to file it in
bugzilla.freedesktop.org, that would be useful. The main fontconfig
docs got split into lots of little pieces.

Regards,
						Owen