Hostname won't stick

Michael Seney michael_seney at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:31:07 UTC 2004

Anyone ever have a problem with setting your hostname.
Here is the deal, I dual boot w/ Windows XP which is
ofcourse the first partition NTFS. Then there is a
Fat32 Middle Partition and then my ext3 / a swap and
/home which is ext3. For some reason it autonames my
hostname upon installation gecko? I think Windows uses
that? I wanted to make it something different and edit
the /etc/hosts and made the 127.0.0.1    newhostname
localhost. Used #hostname newhostname. Restarted X
server and it took until a reboot? Any ideas why it
wants to be gecko and doesn't like any other hostnames
I want to specify. * I just put FC3T2 on this system
and previously ran Debian Sarge with the hostname I
liked without a problem.