SCSI DVD drive not recognized on fc3-t2 kernel 2.6.8-1.584

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Fri Sep 24 09:38:09 UTC 2004

Allen Kistler wrote:
> FWIW, I see similar behavior.  I think the more accurate statement is
> that entries in /dev are not created for SCSI CD-ROMS.  I can create
> them manually with MAKEDEV and they work, but they disappear after a
> reboot.  I'm uncertain if I should blame hal, kudzu, or udev.
>
> It all worked with whatever versions got packaged into initrd for kernel
> build 534.
>
> Perhaps a related problem is that gnome-cd refuses to deal with audio
> CDs in the CD drive.  I've got a Plextor CD-R attached to an Adaptec 29320.

Finally, I understand the problem:

Normally, if you insmod a scsi host adaptor it causes several hotplug
events, which are handled also by the scsi.agent, which loads the sr_mod
or other scsi related modules.
But if the scsi hostadapter module is loaded in the initrd, there is no
scsi.agent and also no sr_mod... thus no device nodes are created.. Doh!

In my opinion, if a host adaptor is loaded, the sg module should be
loaded in any case, to enable generic scsi commands.

We could replay some hotplug events on system start after initrd, to get
the full hotplug functionality. This is already done by udevstart, but
only for devices.

Comments, ideas?