glibc problem.

Robert Couture rpa4email at rogers.com
Fri Sep 24 15:04:31 UTC 2004

Hello ...

I am using FC3t1 updated to latest rawhide (shouldn't that have made my
system FC3t2?  fedora-release still says t1)

I am not sure how best to explain this because I am very new to the
programming world and tend to get lost easily.

However I have encountered something with the latest glibc update in
rawhide and need to find out if it something broken in glibc.

I have been using a BBS program called Synchronet (does anybody remember
dial up BBSes?)

I compile the source from CVS (http://cvs.synchro.net) and it has worked
flawlessly until I updated to glibc-2.3.3-55 (headers, common, devel)

The program compiles without error (just the usual warnings that have
been there for a while)

However now the program won't run correctly.  There are a LOT of errors
regarding:

Got signal (26435072)
Signal has no handler (unexpected)

Throwing the program into endless loops.

To ensure that this wasn't a recent change to this program, I reverted
to an older, known working tarball of the source and the same thing
occurred.

One of the developers mentioned that it may be related pthread and to
look for changes in:

sigemptyset()
sigaddset()
pthread_sigmask()
sigwait()

When I reverted back to glibc-2.3.3-54 (common, header, devel) the
problem went away.

I am hoping that someone here with more knowledge than I can shed some
light on this and whether I need to file a bugzilla against glibc or if
there was an intentional change.

I hope that I explained this well enough and thanks for your time.

Robert Couture