unable to install new kernel linux-2.6.8.1

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Sat Sep 25 01:49:38 UTC 2004

Rather than build your own kernel I really suggest you use Rawhide
RPMs.. even if you use the source RPM and recompile it to change the
config or enable optimizations it is better than moving to the vanilla
sources.  But if you really want to, maybe the comments below will help.

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 08:13 -0700, amit kumar wrote:
> while installing the new kernel i found certain
> errors.i 'll explain wat i did from the start:
> initially i gunzipped that file in the folder
> linux-2.6.8.1 in /usr/src/.then i form the bzimage of
> the kernel and also save it into the
> /kernel/mynewkernel/.
> in the samefolder i save the the System.map from the
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1/.after that i did make modules
> and make menuconfig. after that i changed the menu.lst
> file of /boot/grub/.in which i wrote the following
> line
> title Linux 2.6.8.1 with all my new configuration
>     root (hd0,8)
>     kernel /boot/mynewkernel root=/dev/hda9

You should copy your previous RPM installed kernel entry first, and then
modify it, make sure you haven't changed the 'root (hd0,8)' from the
working one.

Note: the root= entry should be your actual / partition, but it probably
is also labeled as 'root=LABEL=/' (using this you do not need the actual
device).

The entry after 'kernel' is the bzImage itself, it appears you are
pointing this at a directory, that will not work.  Perhaps you mean to
have 'kernel /boot/mynewkernel/bzImage' or something similar.

You also have no mention of using an Initial Ramdisk.  Fedora uses a
ramdisk so if you have built this kernel using the Fedora config as a
starting point.. you probably need one.  See the guide linked below for
more info on that.

> then i restart the computer i m getting the
> linux-2.6.8.1 but when i press enter on that it gives
> error in line 15.

Is line 15 in your /boot/grub/grub.conf file the new 'kernel' line?

> or cannot mount.
> who ever want to reply plzz reply
> ammy

If this gets you nowhere then review this document for any basic steps
you may have missed:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lordmorgul on irc.freenode.net