FC3 T2 alsactl store issues unresolved

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Sep 25 18:13:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:53:15 -0600, maxer1 wrote:

> >>Latest dev after FC3T2 upgrade.
> >>
> >>Here is what I have in modprobe.conf. This hasn't changed to my
> >>knowledge in over the last several iterations of Fedora:
> >>
> >>alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> >>install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
> >>/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >>remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> >>/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
> >>alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
> >>install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> >>/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >>remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> >>/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> >>
> >>I can get the sound to work after I go to either gnome-volume-control
> >>(unmute) or do a  re-detect in system-config-soundcard after boot.
> >>
> >>Any ideas why alsactl store doesn't appear to be working at all?
> >>
> >>Is this a problem in initscripts?
> >>

> >Can you 'alsactl store' and 'alsactl restore' the mixer settings
> >manually? When was /etc/asound.state last written to on your
> >machine? What audio applications do you try?
> >

> Last time asound.state was written to was on the 20th. If I attempt
> alsactl store, of course
> asound.state is immediately written to. Upon reboot doing the restore
> does restore the
> previous settings. Apparently we're back to the mode of storing and
> restoring to keep the settings?
>
> Now in FC3T1 alsa remembered the settings without having to do alsactl
> restore etc.

No, it hasn't changed. Upon loading the module, the entry in
/etc/modprobe.conf should run "alsactl restore" to load the mixer
settings, and /etc/init.d/halt should save the mixer settings prior to
reboot or shutdown.

By looking at the time-stamp of /etc/asound.state, you should be
able to tell, whether the mixer settings get saved before reboot
(alternatively, delete the file or modify it, it's a text file).

And directly after reboot, when looking at "lsmod" output, e.g.
if your snd-emu10k1 module is not loaded already, "modprobe snd-emu10k1"
should load it _and_ trigger the "alsactl restore" call.

Well, that's the simple theory. Actually, when graphical desktops run
audio mixers for ALSA or OSS to restore their own mixer settings, that
influences the whole thing a lot.

--
Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 3.89 4.34 4.62