NVIDIA drivers

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 17:38:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:28:21 -0400, Jim Martin <bavinic at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am not sure if the problem is with Fedora, or with nVidia as some have
> cliamed. but this works for me.

Its not just nvidia... i have a usb scanner on my system that sane
won't detect until i modprobe the sg manually. The 'other' trick you
use for nvidia works just as a well for me to load the sg driver.  So
the issue is more general than just nvidia or addon drivers, its
affecting atleast the supplied sg driver as well.

if things can't be made to "just work" for certain drivers, and some
manual intervention needs to be performed on the client machine, some
other mechanism besides manually editting rc.sysinit should be
provided. I would MUCH prefer if rc.sysinit looked for a file
containing "other" modules to preload instead of editting rc.sysinit
directly. I'd rather keep sysinit uneditting locally if at all
possible.  Someting like /etc/other_stupid_modules_to_preload.conf
would seem appropriate to me.

-jef