Openoffice rpm

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 21:04:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 14:31 -0500, Richard Houston wrote:
> The issue here on FC2 is that openoffice, I assume, has been setup to use
> libgnomeprint and or talks to the cups printer directly. I an not sure. I
> have symlinked the lpr in /usr/bin to kprinter but openoffice still uses
> it's internal printer setup. This setup does not allow openoffice to
> access the advanced features of the printers such as duplex printing and
> alternative paper trays from a standard user.

OOo gets its config info directly from CUPS.  Therefore, if there is a
deficiency, its in your printer's PPD file.  For example, if right now I
select an HP LaserJet 2100N, and hit Print, then Properties, there is
even a Duplex option in a drop-down in that tab.  There is also a Paper
Tray option.

So the moral is, there's no spadmin because its a duplication of
functionality.  If the option is not there, its not in your PPD.  If the
option is a "software" option provided by some other program, then print
to PostScript and do whatever with it.  If the option _is_ in OOo's
Printer Properties dialog, and you choose it and it doesn't work, only
then is it a bug and it should be filed...

NOTE: these directions are for the OOo 1.1.2 packages.  These will be
pushed to FC2-Updates quite soon.  I know that the Properties button
doesn't really do anything in the 1.1.1-4, that should be fixed with the
update once it gets through.

Dan