SCSI DVD drive not recognized on fc3-t2 kernel 2.6.8-1.584

Allen Kistler an037-0m26i at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 00:41:35 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Harald Hoyer (harald at redhat.com) said:
>
>>>sg isn't used for generic SG access... SG_IO can be used on the
>>>device itself.
>>
>>so, what is it for now?
>

> I came in late to the discussion - what specifically is erroring out?
>
> Bill

SCSI devices which are not hard drives don't work.
Their entries are not made in /dev by initrd.
/dev entries can be made manually, but disappear after reboot.
It worked long ago, in kernel build 534 days, with whatever version of
udev, etc., got bundled into 534's initrd.  (Perhaps that version of
whatever didn't delete /dev entries?)
The OP saw it with a SCSI DVD-ROM.  I see it with a SCSI CD-R.
Build 541 is just as guilty as 584.

I see other probably-SCSI problems (gnome-cd/cdp/cdplay no longer likes
CDAs), too, but first things first.