i810 rehash and dell inspiron 2600

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 28 03:56:49 UTC 2004

>> I have not tried the Intel driver version. Is this more capable than
>> the xorg-x11 version? Any different features besides dual-head?
>>

> I haven't been able to get it to compile yet, I have an open ticket with
> their support department about it. I did find out that the Intel driver
> relies on the BIOS implementation for supported resolutions. So if the
> BIOS isn't set up to support 1450x resolution (I forget the other number
> in that res, just recall a bunch of people mentioning it) than the Intel
> driver won't either. So in that respect, the OSS driver seems to have
> the upper hand.

Thanks for the insight into the Intel provided driver, 1400x1050 would
be top resolution I'd try. This is the maximum choice for the OSS driver
also. I'm curious mainly in case I need to go the similar nv route. I
doubt that it will be needed.

Regarding the stolen memory issue. I have an excerpt from the working
Dell below. I guess it is recognized as an 865G. The full log is at the
link below the excerpt. I posted it for comparison between the different
cards. 815 and 865G. I remembered the stolen memory reference in the file.

(--) I810(0): Chipset: "865G"
(--) I810(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xE8000000
(--) I810(0): IO registers at addr 0xFEB80000
(II) I810(0): 1 display pipe available.
(II) I810(0): detected 8060 kB stolen memory.
(II) I810(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 441340 kB available
(II) I810(0): Will attempt to tell the BIOS that there is 12288 kB VideoRAM
(WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) I810(0): initializing int10
(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=103809&action=view

About the rant. I've noticed a similar situation on sites which are
governed by the corporations sponsoring the product. Simple words like
petition should not be censored, but the main issue is for improvements
to the BIOS for all platforms should be followed. If they don't want to
do the work, they should open up enough information for an Optimized
BIOS for the chipset can be achieved for Linux operation.

Jim