Anyone else have these problems [bugs?]

Richard Quint rquint at vcccd.net
Wed Sep 29 00:21:29 UTC 2004

I've just tried installing Fedora Core 3 Test 2 on two machines. One had
Fedora 2.

When I tried installing  FC3Test2 over FC2 grub lost the option of
booting to Fedora, leaving just other (Win XP).  After doing a clean
install of FC3T2 grub now gives both options---boot to Fedora or other.
I found someone else had this problem by looking at the latest digest.

However, I haven't noticed anyone having the other problems that I have
had with both installations.

1)  When you create launchers on or save a file to your [Gnome] desktop
in an application (Maple 9.5) they don't  appear until you log out and
then log in again.

2)  The settings in fstab for CDROMs and DVDROMS are no longer
iso9660.  No problem changing them, but for a new user who tries to use
a CD with separate Windows, Linux and Mac installation files they see
the Mac files not the Linux files. (This happened with the installation
disk for Maple 9.5.)

3)  There are problems with Java in Epiphany.  Although the default is
to have Java turned on it  doesn't work and there is no indication where
to put a plugin.

4)  The default jvm (gij) doesn't work but, when I used the JRE that
comes with Maple or Sun's own JRE I was able to successfully  execute
<path to java>/java -jar myfile.jar

5)  When changed my default browser to Firefox and created a symbolic
link to the java plugin it showed as broken.  When I tried right
clicking on the .so file and selected make link, nothing happened.

Anyone have any suggestions.