Problem editing user/group settings

Tom Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 06:45:36 UTC 2004

On Sunday 26 September 2004 10:56, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:03:40AM -0700, Tom Taylor wrote:
> > The user database cannot be read.  This problem is most likely caused by
> > a mismatch in /etc/password and /etc/shadow.
> > My question is WHY and how do I CORRECT it?
>
> pwconv
> grpconv
>
> > I want to do this so I can add groups to my user account so I can add
> > devices to my user desktop.
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to do that.  What devices are you trying to
> access?  Everything should just work as a normal user without editing
> groups.

Thanks Charles, that did the trick.

The device icons KDE was creating didn't have some of the options desired such
as mount, unmount and eject.  And the default desktop icons showed both user
and group as 'root'.

--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004