Automated Mirror Selection [Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 21:01:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:41:17 -0400, fulko.hew at sita.aero
<fulko.hew at sita.aero> wrote:
> The list of mirrors should/could at the very least be a package that
> we can download to get the 'latest set' of behaving mirrors.

you create a server that holds a 'latest set' of behaving
mirrors...and keep that server running for people to use...and im sure
people will use it.  My point is, its a non-trivial art
to create that set of behaving mirrors and keep it updated and if you
think you can do it...feel free to host such a list as a community
service.

> Can the master server check the mirrors to see if (all of) their transfers
> have been completed, and only then re-add that mirror to the list of
> candidates?

Why does the master server have to do this. If you think this will
work...you create a seperate server, that tries to detect which
mirrors are synced. Read my rules of engagement in this discussion. If
you think you can get this to work...set it up on a community site and
host a list of 'good' mirrors. Show it works independant of the main
site.

> Sure, it would be nicer if the mirror could just 'tell' the master, rather
> than
> have the master poll...

Read my rules of engagement for this discussion. Sure it would be
nicer...but its not reality...its not going to happen..you arent going
to be able to demand this of mirrors and still expect as many mirror
admins with high bandwidth to volunteer to be a part of the official
mirror list.

> PITA scripts should be a prerequisite to becomming a mirror, or at the very
> least to be a mirror that gets put into the mirror list.

shoulda,woulda,coulda... you clearly didn't read my ground rules for
participating in this discussion. And as promised I'm now going to
point and laugh at you.
<point and laugh mode>
HaHa look at the funny person  HeHe
</point and laugh mode>

Would you be satifisied if 80% of all the mirrors on the mirror list
decided dealing with the extra burden of using official fedora
specific script logic was too much and just decided to no longer be an
'official' mirror but still mirror it for their own internal use in
their own networks for their own users. Face facts, you up the
maintainership burden to be a fedora official mirror and you will drop
the number of mirrors listed in the official list, since it really
makes no difference to most mirror admins if they are on the official
fedora list or not.

> I think thats too complicated.  Something that notifies when the rsync is
> done is better.
Flying cars are better than cars with wheels....so what...you aren't
going to mandate that we all start using flying cars. Just like you
are not going to mandate to the mirrors that volunteer their bandwidth
to run addition services to make it easier for user to know when the
sync is done...it just isnt going to happen. There are political and
technical realities that must be considered and you aren't considering
them. Let me take a quick moment to point and laugh at you again.
HaHa...HeHe...

-jef"silly taunt goes here"spaleta