FC3T2: Having to downgrade Xorg 6.8.1 to 6.7.0

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 30 03:09:17 UTC 2004

ByteEnable wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Xorg 6.8.x is not stable on my Radeon Mobility 9000.  I get hangs,
> display corruption, screen and font artifacts, to the point where the
> system is not useable.  Its random too.  I went for three days, then I
> had to reboot, bam, problems all day.  I've bugzilla'ed at Red Hat and
> Xorg.  I'm not using the transparency feature either.

> Driver  Symptom
> ------  ------------------------------------------------------
> Radeon  Screen and font artifacts, display corruption, hangs.
> fgrlx   Driver=3.12 Works fine until a 3D app is launched or
>         gnome-font-properties is run, bam, XServer reset.
>
> No problems with either driver with 6.7.0.
>

> Byte

The symptoms seem to be the same regarding the i810 card. You still get
X killed when ctl-alt-Fn to a terminal while X has focus. This is at
1024x768 at 24 depth and DRI is enabled.

1400x1050 works good at 24 depth for me, no DRI. I dare not drop to 16
depth yet at higher resolutions that disable dri.

No need to drop back on X for this yet for the 815 card, unless you
could not work around prior problems with the last release candidate.

With another graphics card installed and trying out s-c-display, I could
not get the radeon and dual-head to configure. Also, with the two cards
installed (internal 815 and Radeon 7200 PCI) I could not get the 815 to
go to resolutions above 800x600. Is this a normal side-effect of having
multiple video cards installed? Or was the higher resolution cut back
for the 815 card?
To change resolutions w/ both cards installed, I have to replace
xorg.conf w/ previously configuration files for higher resolutions.

Jim