Automated Mirror Selection [Re: Worst experience with Up2Date ever.]

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 19:03:41 UTC 2004

> I care far far more about finding a way to give each client computer a
> way to get a reasonable accurate list of mirrors that works well and
> reliably for access to released updates and base packages for full
> releases. If discussion isn't framed around this being the central
> goal, I'm not overly interested in it.

IMHO much of the weirdness with up2date and to a lesser degree with
yum stems from mirror selection issues. The best solution currently
seems to require that each OP hand edit his/her  relevant
configuration file(s) to point to more "desirable" mirrors. I've found
up2date to work poorly at best since FC1; note that I don't so much
mind breakage in the test releases since there are typically in excess
of 50 package updates a day.

Perhaps a solution similar to the one fedora.us has implemented with
their version of apt could be applied to up2date/yum namely the first
time the app is run the OP gets a TUI that allows for mirror
selections. Painless & effective.

Hoping this suggestion falls within Jef's ground rules else I'll be
taunted as well ;)

---
Bests,
Jon