New 1219 kernel causes fire

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Apr 1 09:23:45 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 01.04.2005, 03:50 -0500 schrieb Dave Jones:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:43:55AM +0300, Fred New wrote:
>  > Motherboard - McDonaldFarm-eieio
>  > Processor - Celeron_x64
>  > Memory - 6 GB, GCC
>  >
>  > Every time I boot, the new kernel causes my motherboard to catch fire.
>  > I didn't have this problem with 1208 kernel.  Fortunately, the onboard
>  > halon extinguisher prevents any damage, but the ozone layer is
>  > suffering.  And I am running out of halon.  Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Ah, that'll be because we build the kernel with gcc4 now, which emits
> HCF[1] instructions.  It's perfectly normal, and to be expected.
> As a workaround, you could invest in a water-pump, and some pretty
> cold-cathode lights. (I recommend green).

No, with a Celeron_x64 I would recommend to just use davix:

http://www.kernelslacker.org/davix/announce.txt
http://www.kernelslacker.org/davix/

That solved the fire problem for me. Davej, you really should have heard
of this fantastic new Linux-lookalike kernel. Will it be included in
FC4? Or a update to FC3? Please!

SCNR

CU
thl