FC4t1 - gnome-volume-manager uses 100% CPU if automounting an SD/MMC/CF card in USB card reader

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:45:25 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 11:20 AM, Msquared <sub1.fedoralist at msquared.id.au> wrote:
> If I remove the card reader, insert the card into the card reader, then
> plug it back into the USB port, the behaviour is the same.

which packages versions of hal dbus gamin and gnome-volume-manager do you have?
rpm -q hal gnome-volume-manager dbus gamin

possibly a gnome-volume-manger specific problem or a deeper problem with hal.
Do the mountpoints and fstab entries get created correctly? If the
mountpoints and fstab entries get created but automounting isnt
working.. then its a gnome-volume-manager problem. when you encounter
the problem look at /etc/fstab and at the mountpoint /media directory
to see if entries for the inserted cards are created.  You can do some
highlevel troubleshooting of hal without gnome-volume-manager running
by logging out of gnome and logging into a virtual console (ALT+CTL+F1
for example) commandline interface. On card insertion even at a
virtual console, if hal is working correctly you should see fstab
entries being created and mountpoints under /media/  being created
with every insertion of the media. And conversly the fstab entry and
mountpoints being removed everytime the media is pulled out. If either
the fstab entry or the mountpoint fails to be created on multiple
insertions thats a good indication the problem is with hal (or
deeper).

You could also configure gnome to not automount those devices and test
repeated re-insertion and manual mounting.  On insertion.. if hal is
working.. and gamin is working... the device will show up  in the
nautilus Computer window. From there you can manually mount the
device. Try to see if the problem only exists if automounting in gnome
is enabled.

-jef