FC4t1 - gnome-volume-manager uses 100% CPU if automounting an SD/MMC/CF card in USB card reader

Msquared sub1.fedoralist at msquared.id.au
Fri Apr 1 18:39:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:36:18PM +0200, Cimmo wrote:

> Have tried the last version of gnome-volume-control in rawride?

I have gnome-volume-manager-1.1.3-3 if that's what you are referring it.
Is the rawhide the one I get if I use yum with the development repository
enabled?

> >Have tried the last version of gnome-volume-control in rawride?
> >
> rawhide :-P

Hehe.  :o)  Mind you, if the packages therein are undergoing much change
and are susceptible to many problems, someone might go aheand and call it
a rawride anyway...  ;-)

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:45:25AM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> rpm -q hal gnome-volume-manager dbus gamin

[root at mnemonic ~]# rpm -q hal gnome-volume-manager dbus gamin
hal-0.5.0.cvs20050322b-1
gnome-volume-manager-1.1.3-3
dbus-0.31-2
gamin-0.0.25-4

I'm going to run yum to update them, though.  Looks like it wants to
update dbus and gamin.

Woo, just looked at the info on gamin.  I hope it's better than fam.  I
hate it when asdfi have to killall fam to umount a CD or memory card under
FC1.

> Do the mountpoints and fstab entries get created correctly?

Yes.  The problem only occurs if automount is turned on inside Removable
Drives and Media Preferences, and only (so far) for cards inserted into
the card reader.  USB thumb drives and CDs work fine.

Interesting to note that although mentally I think of the card in the card
reader as removable media, it is automounted when "Mount removable drives
when hot-plugged" is on but "Mount removable media when inserted" is off,
indicating that gnome-volume-manager treats the card as a hot-plug
drive...  Something I'll just have to get usd to, I guess.  :o)

> You could also configure gnome to not automount those devices and test
> repeated re-insertion and manual mounting.

Manual mounting (via mount command, mount panel object, nautilus, etc) all
work fine when no automounting via gnome-volume-manager happening.

> the device will show up  in the nautilus Computer window.

Woo, I didn't know that happened.  Very nice!

> From there you can manually mount the device. Try to see if the problem
> only exists if automounting in gnome is enabled.

That is indeed the case.

Regards, Msquared...