Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Apr 3 15:00:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 04:27:54PM +0200, Ziga Mahkovec wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 02:21 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 03:15:03PM -0800, luya at jpopmail.com wrote:
> > > this is a question I receive froom some Fedora Core 3 users. After
> > > they have tried Ubuntu, they complained about the 'slow speed' of
> > > Fedora. Their major complain are the number of seriveces enabled by
> > > default event though they choose to do desktop installation. Another
> > > complain I heard are the memory on which they use Ubuntu (once
> > > again) to be efficient. How should I respend on that kind of
> > > question?
> >
> > Ask them why they need to reboot Ubuntu that often ... ;)
>
> There are several reasons why desktop systems need rebooting, and
> they're not specific to Ubuntu:
>
> - running a laptop (and not being able to get software suspend to work)
> - powering down the system over night (think ecology)
> - sharing a room with the noisy machine

All tasks you perform 1-5 times a day at max. So cutting 10 seconds
boot time saves you a minute per day?

Unless you need instanton technology (think Fedora Media Center) there
is no urgent need to speed up boot process, or not?

I don't disagree with lowering boot time, but it isn't high priority.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net