Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun Apr 3 20:52:43 UTC 2005

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

>søn, 03.04.2005 kl. 19.45 skrev Thorsten Leemhuis:
>

>>Am Sonntag, den 03.04.2005, 12:59 -0400 schrieb Dan Williams:
>>

>>> Furthermore, killing dumb
>>>cron jobs that run every day like 'updatedb' and 'makewhatis' would help make
>>>the desktop experience a hell of a lot better (geez, run them every 3 days and
>>>only when the machine has been idle for 5 minutes or something, and re-nice them
>>>really really really low so they don't screw over the user).
>>>

>>Furthermore and more important imho: these cron jobs should not run when
>>you are working with you notebook on battery (iirc they currently still
>>do -- correct me if I'm wrong).
>>

>They do. First indication of them running is everything getting really
>slow, and then the fan starts ;)

http://fedoraproject.org/people/
--> pete zaitcev  telinit 4 "running on battery"
http://www.livejournal.com/users/zaitcev/21605.html

<snip>
/*telinit 4*/
I continue to ponder if we ought to have init level 4 in Fedora, meaning
"running on battery". Although I start and stop a bunch of services
going between 4 and 5, in reality most of them have no connection to the
battery status. For instance, I run ntpd and cups at level 5 but not 4,
because when I'm on battery, I'm away from home and naturally I do not
want either of them. This is, of course, bogus. However, there's one
service which may make the whole idea worthwhile: *crond*.

This sucker runs a whole bunch of things which definitely depend on AC
power and not on network status: makewhatis, prelink, logrotate, and so
on. Switching it on and off makes perfect sense. If only I were able to
figure how to make a hysteresis. If I plug and unplug power quickly,
apmd fires, init flips on and off, gazillion freaking scripts run. Or,
more realistically, I unplug and replug when migrating between outlets.
So, there must be some sort of a delay.
</snip>