Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 15:25:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:54:48AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 04:42 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
 > > On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:05:37PM -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
 > > > are you saying that Fedora is unsuitable for ordinary desktops and (by
 > > > extension laptops) unless they have scsi?
 > >
 > > I think some people would prefer to say that "PC's are unsuitable for use
 > > without real disks" 8)
 > >
 > > In this case the fact that it is I/O not CPU means the requirements to quieten
 > > such an app are really not handled by nice(2)
 >
 > also note that the cfq io scheduler makes updatedb and friends a lot
 > more bareable. CFQ is default in our kernel, but not in kernel.org
 > kernels, so if the "2.6 is bad with updatedb" notion is based on
 > kernel.org kernels then I strongly suggest switching those to CFQ.

This broke a while back when I rebased, and I forgot to fix it up
until last weekend. The next build has it fixed again.

 > Also note that both upstream and our kernels are currently missing the
 > "fix" for updatedb eating your VM that was present in earlier fedora
 > kernels:
 >
 > http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/linux-2.6.5-inode-clip.patch

I think you already know my opinion on this patch judging by the
quotes on your "fix" :)  I imagine upstream probably wouldn't be
too keen on it either.  I'm not clear on what the right fix is
however. OTOH, posting a horrible patch sometimes has the nice
effect of getting those who know this stuff intimately working on
fixing the problem properly :)

		Dave