rawhide report: 20050405 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Apr 5 17:04:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:35:35AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> After some preliminary tests it
> showed up as significantly faster parsing the metadata. For
> primary.xml.gz the times went from 21s for 1800ish pkgs to 7s.

These numbers smell very suspicious to me from my practical yum
experience but I never did any measurements so I cannot be sure.
But ever if they are correct this is really not the place where yum
is spending its time.  Running test transactions seems to be a big
time sink and dependency resolution as well.  In a comparison with
that shaving some few seconds on parsing, which is really not
noticable in the whole operation, sounds like a completely a
lopsided trade-off for one more extra XML parser and resulting
dependencies.

> Check out the numbers on the cElementTree webpage. They're fairly
> compelling.

In the whole context?  I doubt it.  Unless you have some other
uses for that.

   Michal