XMMS (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 5 18:44:39 UTC 2005

> Seth, ... It is possible for someone to point out faults with the
> current state of affairs without making a personal attack against you.

Yes, it is possible, but typically only when it is constructive
criticism. Not when it's just petty insulting crap about 'goof off
kids'.

> I don't think anyone here is placing any  direct fault on you, and I
> think it is really unproductive for you to respond to every concern
> people have about EXTRAS with this kind of temper tantrum.

I think I've never responded to anything about extras with that sort of
temper tantrum. I think I was told I was called a 'goof off kid' and
told that my work was barely pre-alpha.

I think that was insulting, incorrect and not-constructive.

> Rather than being insulted when the inevitable discussions occur, why
> not ask "What am I doing wrong?", "What other important project would
> you like me to drop in order to fix this?", and "Is there any
> consensus that this is important, or even a problem?".   If you would
> like others to avoid discussing matters that they don't have solutions
> for, or are unwilling to work towards a solution for... then you
> should set an example by either being constructive or avoiding the
> discussions youself.

why not ask "what can you do to fix it, other than just complain?"

I think that's a better question.

-sv