rawhide report: 20050405 changes

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 5 19:03:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 12:53 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:46:57PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > > If yum itself is responsible only for a small fraction of that time
> > > then optimizing it has a negligible overall on its practical use.
> >
> > So I should go see if I can make the transaction test faster in rpm,
> > too.
>
> Why this conclusion?  From the fact that some optimization efforts
> seem to be, ahem, somewhat misdirected and have doubtful tradeoffs
> does not follow that the whole world is your baby.

no, but what should I do in this situation? I've not got the time to
spend on seeing if there is any place for optimization of the test
transaction in rpm. Not right now, at least. When I get the 'build all
fedora extras' stuff off my plate and summer hits I hope to have some
time to profile the heck out of yum. You wanna work on the rpm
transaction test and figuring out how to make it faster, easier, capable
of more interactivity/callbacks.

That'd be cool. If you do - go to rpm-devel list or rpm-python list or
heck, even yum-devel - but fedora-test-list is probably not the best
place for that discussion.
-sv