Core vs. Extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 5 21:51:50 UTC 2005

> Not to mention the time it takes to go through all the packages.. never
> mind.. just install all of it. As I learn more I use more. If parts
> weren't installed, I may not know about them.
>
> Case in point... ethereal... naw, who needs it? I'm glad I installed
> it... it's a great tool and it's saved my bacon more than once.
>
> I wish there were an easier way to say "install all packages, but only
> these languages..." As it is I have installed a lot of language stuff I
> KNOW I'll never need/use/want.

So I have an idea. What if we wrote a program to copy all the CD
contents or ALL repos to a local dir and set it up for you? would that
be better for you? Then you wouldn't have to install everything just
download it and store it locally.

then presto-change-o, you've got everything at your fingertips!

yum search someword
and
yum info somepkg

should get you what you want

but wait, if you have a network connection why both? You can do that
now!

or in fedora core 4 test 2 you could do:

yum shell
search something
info somepkg
install somepkg
run

and still be able to look for the rest of the items, quickly.

wouldn't that be spiffy? Well you can do that! Try out yum 2.3.2 from
rawhide.

> I think it would be a nice addition if yum/up2date were already
> configured for extras, so if I learned that I needed/wanted some package
> (from EXTRAS) I could just say "yum install newpackage" and it would do it.

It is for fc4test2.

-sv