FC4T1 to FC4T2 to FC4T3 Final release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:41:26 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 1:27 PM, Richard Ramson <rramson at gmail.com> wrote:
> When Fedora Core 4 finally gets released in June, will I have to do an
> upgrade or because I keep downloading the fixes I won't need the final
> version?

Package version are not garunteed to be monotonically increasing
during the testing phase. For example, a serious bug in test3 that can
not be resolved may very well mean a package is reverted to a lower
package inside the development tree and subsequently in the final
release.  You will have to review your  list of installed packages
against the package list in the final release and downgrade your
packages for any reversion cases.  Even then you have to be careful
about configuration file issues that get changed near the end of the
testing cycle. For example there is a very good chance you have
editted your yum configuration files which means you want see the
default fc4 yum configuration, you'll see some mixture of your changes
and the defaults because of the way rpm handles configuration files.

At the end of the day.. its probably not appropriate to just assume
what you have is really whats in the final release. You either need to
do a review of your system or do a fresh install of the final release.
 I personally always do a fresh install of my test box with a new
release to make sure my system doesn't have some lingering
configuration issue or out-of-sync packages.

-jef