Up2date not being maintained any longer?

Scott talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Apr 7 06:56:49 UTC 2005

Don Russell wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Is up2date still getting any attention?
>

> I'd be happy if up2date just went away altogether.
>
> I've always had problems with it not finding updates, even though it
> reports there are xx updates available and the little red ball is
> glowing nicely...
>
> I know, I know, it's related to mirrors and who's in sync when etc.
>
> But yum is so much more convenient...
>     - easily added to daily/nightly cron so it's done automagically
>     - automatically tries different mirrors as needed
>     - simple command line entry "does it all": (as root)
>         yum -y update
>
> The ONLY thing up2date does that I like over yum, is up2date prompts
> me for the root password as needed. yum just chokes and dies, it's
> last words are "Help meeeeee, I'm not root..." :-)
>
> So, su -c "yum -y up2date" and I'm back in business.
>
> I like yum. It took me a while to start using it though... so thanks
> to up2date for being such a PITA, I learned a better way. :-)
>
> The little ball is cute.... keep that. :-)
>
> Don Russell

    Not wanting to start a religious war,  But though I think yum is
excellent, I still prefer up2date.  I find myself wanting to know "what
the heck that package is" and with up2date I just highlight the
package.  With yum on the other hand, I do a check-update, followed by
an info, followed by an update, each time I need to download .repo files
look at dependencies etc. etc.

    The 2 packages are about equal in finding mirrors that aren't ready :-)

    Of course since either yum or up2date gets broken from time to time,
I think it's nice to have both.

Scott