gdm early login

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Apr 7 11:27:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 08:35 +0200, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:

> you saved a few seconds of my day.
> a user should wait  nearly 1 minute for the ready desktop?
> and this is a step forward?
>

> i prefer to wait  90 sec for login screen and  20 sec for desktop on my
> systems.

I must admit I felt a little ripped off too.

I was expecting that I would enter my log in details and that the
desktop would start up at that point.  From there, all the other
services that needed starting would start in the background while the
desktop was starting/running.

If this is what we can expect in the future then this is a great step
forward.  But if this is just so that I can type my log in details a
little earlier, then I'm not convinced.  To be truthful, it actually
felt like it took longer to start but this might be due to the fact I
was assuming that the desktop would log in after I typed in my log in
details.

Rodd