gdm early login

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:52:36 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 7:27 AM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> I must admit I felt a little ripped off too.

Yeah thats right... its totally appropriate to feel ripped off...at a
first experimental attempt at handling the boot up differently.

> I was expecting that I would enter my log in details and that the
> desktop would start up at that point.

Why do you expect anything?  You were told in the original email that
this was NOT a fully baked solution. In fact you were explicitly told
that this was not well tested and if anything you should be prepared
for it to mess up your system.
According to the email I read... if the system actually still booted
at all...you have exceeded the expectations.

Feeling ripped off, because a developer has decided to give you a
heads up about an experimental change that is not completely worked
out yet.. seems absolutely backwards to me.  Why on earth should
developers try to communicate early in a new process.. if all the
interested users are going to do is feel ripped off by the effort.  If
you CARE about reducing the boot time... dig into the new initscripts
like Mr. Anderson is doing and actually start pointing out specifics
that need to be discussed.  Being disappointed at the results of this
preliminary attempt at rhgb removal is just rediculous.  The effort to
do something about it.. is progress.  The effort to remove rhgb might
fail in the end, but the other items may be fixed.. we will not know
until the effort is made.

>From my pov, I'm amazed the people inside the Red Hat fenceline are
actually spending their valuable time worrying about 30 to 60 seconds
of time at bootup. I couldn't personally give a flip about those 60
seconds. It could take 5 minutes for all i care. I'm not even sure how
many people this really affects outside of laptop users, and laptop
users need a working reliable hibernation mode more than 60 seconds
shaved off of bootup. Regardless of my personal feelings on where
development resources should be spent... If people who do care about
these 30-60 seconds don't appreciate the effort being made to try to
change things, and don't pitch in to make the effort better.. it will
fail.  And I'm more than happy to actively help and encourage
development effort put into things I care more about.  So please, feel
as ripped off as you want. Actively discourage developers to make the
effort on this issue, so that I can encourage them to work on
something else with words of praise, KK doughnut bribes and active
involvement.

-jef"okay well maybe not KK doughnuts"spaleta