Any place to get FC4T2 a little early?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 10 13:47:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 20:27 -0400, Richard Ramson wrote:
>
> > After all the trouble I went through to keep my PC updated with
> > FC4T1, do I need to update to 2?  I hope its not a complete
> > reinstall.  :( I tried accessing some of the 3.91 directories but
> > couldn't get in either.  I guess we gotta wait until the 11th.
> > ;)
>
> Normally, you don't need to.
>
> BUT.... (you knew it was coming)
>
> Part of the purpose of all these tests is to test them.  Much of the
> distro can be tested just doing update (and of course removing stuff
> that's been depreciated - and then possibly nagging that the
> depreciated package isn't included in extras yet).
>
> However, you're not just testing updates, you're testing the
> installer and how well a fresh install works out of the box.  Just
> updating can't really replicate this (but it comes close), so if you
> can do a fresh install, that's quite useful.

this brings up a point i've been thinking about ever since fc4t1 had
such annoying installation problems.  i realize that RH doesn't like
to do "respins" of test releases and, for the most part, that makes
sense.

but if a test release turns out to have a *serious* installation
problem that prevents a lot of folks from even getting it onto their
system, wouldn't a respin be justified in this situation?  after all,
if people can't even install it, they're certainly not going to be
able to test it.

thoughts?

rday