Bootpart/Dual Boot problem (FC4T2)

Duralisis Fiber duralisis at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:06:36 UTC 2005

Last night I did a completely fresh install of Test 2
on my previously working FC3 dual boot with XP.  To
dual boot, I use NTLDR with an entry for
"bootsect.lnx" by using the bootpart utility instead
of dd.

So I start off by wiping the drive and installing
fresh (hdb), install Fedora, and set it _NOT_ to
install the bootloader in the MBR, but in the first
partition of the boot drive (under advanced bootloader
options).  So just like with FC3, I proceed to create
a new bootsect.lnx by running the bootpart utility
again.

But now everytime I try to boot my "Linux" item in the
NTLDR menu, I get a screen with something to the
effect of:

Bootpart 2.50...
Cannot load from harddisk
Insert  system disk and press any key.

What's going on? This used to work just fine?  Here's
my configuration:

(hda)  6.5GB -- Windows XP, NTLDR
(hdb) 10.0GB -- (Linux)

(hdb1) 9.5GB -- EXT3 mounted as /
(hdb2) 512MB -- SWAP

I set it to install Grub in hdb1 like in my FC3
install, but it won't boot now (it doesn't even get to
Grub!).

This is right after install, I haven't been able to do
anything else yet.  This is the first reboot after it
finished.  Windows XP still loads fine.