FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 12 23:06:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 18:48 -0400, Graydon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:23:59PM -0700, Dana Lacoste scripsit:
> > This one's for Peter Jones.
> >
> > He was whining about not having specific information
> > and not willing to look in the archives.
> >
> > Well, here it is.  You ignored it earlier, will you answer it now?
> >
> > grub doesn't work.
> >
> > lilo fixes problem.
>
> That one got a long answer; one of the things in the answer is that,
> sure, it boots, but it boots because lilo doesn't check that it knows
> how to deal with the partition and will cheerfully do things that
> involve high risks of data corruption and altered partition sizes.

Never seen it happen. I have used LILO since 1995 and never
have I seen it corrupt a drive or alter a partition.

> Grub does check, and will refuse to boot if all it's going to do is
> damage your data.

The biggest problem I have with it, is the error reporting is
awful and you don't get any clue to what caused the problem.

Add any kind of drive when you are booting from SATA and you
no longer have a bootable machine.

> Grub's behaviour strikes me as preferable.

That's OK, you can have your opinion, but that doesn't make
GRUB better than LILO. I ran Linux machines with lilo for
ages and never had a problem with LILO corrupting a partition.