FC4t2 no good without LILO

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Wed Apr 13 09:01:46 UTC 2005

Res wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:06:51PM -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
>>
>>> The biggest problem I have with it, is the error reporting is
>>> awful and you don't get any clue to what caused the problem.
>>
>> As opposed to LILO's error reporting consisting of "LI" during bootup?
>
> Its suprising how many ppl have NFI that halting at various points in
> print statemant of LILO  actually has a useful meaning telling them
> where the problem is.

L error
  physical hd error ?
LI
  some lilo parts are not found -> bootdisk, check lilo.conf, lilo, reboot ?
LIL
  lilo-map error ?
LIL?
  wrong boot device ?
LIL-
  wrong geometry ?
LILO
  ok

my lilo experiences <= rhl7.2,  playing russian roulette
my grub experiences since >= rhl7.3 absolutely no problems

FYI
--------
$ info grub
-> troubleshooting
14 Error messages reported by GRUB
**********************************

This chapter describes error messages reported by GRUB when you
encounter trouble. *Note Invoking the grub shell::, if your problem is
specific to the grub shell.

* Menu:

* Stage1 errors::               Errors reported by the Stage 1
* Stage1.5 errors::             Errors reported by the Stage 1.5
* Stage2 errors::               Errors reported by the Stage 2
----/----

--
shrek-m