No Grub menu on dual boot!

duralisis duralisis at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 22:03:28 UTC 2005

I'm trying to dual boot XP and FC4T2 on separate drives.  XP is on hda,
Fedora on hdb.  I've had a working FC3 install for a while and instead
of using grub, I used NTLDR by copying the boot sector of the second
drive and adding a boot.ini entry.

But, I tried doing a clean install of Test 2 (wiped entire second drive
clean), only this time I told it to install the boot loader into the MBR
of hda.  I thought this would make Grub my default boot menu now.  But
it didn't.  Instead it still boots straight into XP after a brief
flicker of a black screen (no prompt, no flash of Grub in the corner or
anything).

I added an entry back into boot.ini to see if that would boot my new
install (like before), and it doesn't work.  I get a "cannot load from
harddisk, insert system disk" bootpart error.  Again, this was all
working just fine in FC3.  I've only tried to use Grub in the MBR this
time like most people would.

Other than the default install options and automatic partitioning of
hdb, I only chose Other (Windows XP) to be the default boot target
during install.

Why can't FC4 boot?  Where did Grub go?  Why is NTLDR still there?