should i expect "yum update" to work on a fresh fc4t2 install?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 14 10:43:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Florin Andrei wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 16:58 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > I've found that "install everything" is an extraordinarily bad
> > idea if you want to have a continually working system.
>
> I'm amazed by how few people are aware of this. Although, at least
> IMO, it's counterintuitive, no?

i think you could make the argument that *both* techniques have
potential flaws.  certainly, more software means more potential bugs.
on the other hand, some folks might be nervous about being selective
in their choice of software and choose an "everything" install because
they think it's *safer*, and they're not taking a chance on leaving
out something critical and introducing a possible dependency error.

depending on how you look at it, the argument works both ways.
anyway, my initial point was that it made sense to an "everything"
install in *this* case because the whole point is to stress test a
pre-release.

rday