FC4t2 no good without LILO

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Thu Apr 14 19:25:03 UTC 2005

Paul,

LILO is still the primary boot-loader on your system.  The characters
'LILO' show that LILO is still in both MBR's.  Grub did not install to
the MBR's as you and I both observed in our respective tests.  LILO is
handling the boot on your system and then chaining to Grub.  I warned
you last night that you might have to do an install from the grub
command line.

LILO as the primary boot loader looks like this:

# od -c /boot/boot.b | head -1
0000000   ú   ë   |   l   b   a   L   I   L   O 001  \0 025 004  \0  \0
# od -c /dev/hde | head -1
0000000   ú   ë   |   l   b   a   L   I   L   O 001  \0 025 004   Z  \0

Grub as the primary boot loader would look something like this:

# od -c /boot/grub/stage1 | head -1
0000000   ë   H 220  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0

We're now waiting for Redhat to issue some documentation as to what
their latest attempt is supposed to achieve before testing it see if it
does it.

--Mike Bird