ACPI - How to get Notebook in Standby / Suspend? [SOLVED PARTIALLY]

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Apr 14 22:02:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:38:36PM +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> Has anybody got this working?

AFAICT this very much depends on a particular laptop (and I still
have a non-working floppy after a resume on a laptop which my wife
is using although this is not FC4).

> Also, you
> cannot insert this commands in the battery-applet to easy standby your
> computer, it just works in the shell.

Well, yes, you can do this there at least indirectly.  Write a
one-line shell script with 'echo -n "standby" > /sys/power/state' in
it and call that script in the battery-applet.

OTOH you can add your event handler in /etc/acpi/events/ and tie up
that action to some event (power button, lid, "sleep" key) instead
of that applet; or as well.

   Michal