FC4t2 no good without LILO

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Apr 14 22:41:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 16:21 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> Hum.
>
> Do you mean, just don't use any mirroring and or striping,
> or do you mean changing some setting so that raid is disabled.
> If you mean the latter I have never seen such an option. If
> you mean the first scenario, that is what I have done. It is
> strange that these limitations exist, because the on-board
> SATA RAID works fine with FreeBSD, but were not going to
> discuss that here.

Almost every board that has come through our labs with SATA capability
and advertised RAID capability has the option to disable the RAID
portion of these chips.

> For those who use the term "winraid" to descibe some kind of
> inferior software raid, I would suggest that you explain what
> you mean by don't use it, in light of this post.

A lot of this started with WinModems.  Modems that lacked actual
hardware devices and relied on software emulation.  This was followed by
some Promise IDE 'raid' chips that basically did the same thing.  Relied
on an OS level driver to do all the RAID operations.  These SATA 'raid'
chips are hardly different.  The generic term 'win-something' has been
stolen from 'winmodems' and applied elsewhere.

Basically it doesn't work in Linux right now, don't use it.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: