FC4t2 no good without LILO

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Fri Apr 15 03:06:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 19:40, Chris Adams wrote:
> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
> root (hd0,0)
> setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

So what should we use for MD?  How about:

  device (hd0) /dev/md0
  root (hd0,0)
  setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

or maybe?

  device (hd0) /dev/md0
  root (hd0)
  setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

No, they don't work.

That's the trouble when there's no documentation for Grub+MD.  Some
tried and tested spells work and some don't.  I found one that worked on
a test system on the third attempt but without documentation I have no
idea whether it's a good solution or not.  If we were going to use Grub
we'd experiment with pulling hard drives to find out whether there was
any redundancy but we're not going to waste any more time.

We've decided to drop the whole Lilo v Grub argument.  We'll continue to
provide Lilo from the FC3 RPM - it gives clients another reason to
choose us over RedHel.

Pax Vobiscum,

--Mike Bird