FC4t2 no good without LILO

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Apr 15 10:32:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, William Hooper wrote:

> Res said:
> [snip]
>>> You're missing a huge part of the picture. Having lilo the package
>>> (even
>>> though as you note, it's not really maintained) might not be much, but
>>> it requires a lot of complicated kludgy infrastructure in the installer,
>>> and in mkinitrd, etc., and makes kernel updates very fragile.
>>
>> what utter crap! we always build our own kernels using the std makefile
>> and the source from kernel.org, if you can compile a kernel then ur done
>> either way, nothing else to do
>
> So you always compile your own vanilla kernels instead of using the Core

99/100 yep

> provided ones.  Despite that, you somehow find installing a non-Core
> provided boot loader an huge burden?

its called choice
i choose to roll my own kernels
i choose to install lilo because grub cant handle some things and cant
handle others as well.

everytime we have had to do disaster recovery restorations from rsyncs
images grub refuses to play ball, with lilo its booted first time
everytime and the server is back

--
Cheers
Res