FC4t2 no good without LILO

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Fri Apr 15 11:14:55 UTC 2005

Em Qui, 2005-04-14 às 15:41 -0700, Jesse Keating escreveu:

> Almost every board that has come through our labs with SATA capability
> and advertised RAID capability has the option to disable the RAID
> portion of these chips.

Hey... That's not entirely true.

I have been working for a computer manufacturer here in brazil. They're
selling a hardware based on msi boards, with a via 6410 ide raid on it.
It cannot be disabled. You may use it without creating a raid, but the
capability is there.

> A lot of this started with WinModems.  Modems that lacked actual
> hardware devices and relied on software emulation.  This was followed by
> some Promise IDE 'raid' chips that basically did the same thing.  Relied
> on an OS level driver to do all the RAID operations.  These SATA 'raid'
> chips are hardly different.  The generic term 'win-something' has been
> stolen from 'winmodems' and applied elsewhere.
> Basically it doesn't work in Linux right now, don't use it.

Hum... We released a custom linux with driver for it (in 2.4.25, don't
ask) and it seems to work, as we sell an average of 1200 of them/month.